HISTORY OF THE GUILD.................1939-2012
THE ANNA BIER LEGACY

Many of us have known at least one person in our lifetime that was totally unselfish, tireless in their mission to be of service to others. As humans, we naturally take them
for granted until one day they just aren’t there anymore.
   
    Miss Anna Bier taught art in the Greenville Ohio public schools on all grade levels for






                   






small hands to construct small looms and enough yarn for forty youngsters to weave their own marble bags and purses. Often the cost of these supplies came out of her meager earnings.
    Upon her death, Miss Bier willed her home and all of its contents to the future hope that Greenville would become “a place where people of all colors, all creeds, and all walks of life could work for the development of artistic skills and higher cultural standards for their community”.
    Grateful for her contribution to their small community, residents established the Greenville Art Guild, Inc. in 1939, incorporating both visual and performing arts. Meetings and classes were held in the East Fourth Street home until a fire in the later 1970s.

thirty-six years. Art class, as we know it today, was totally different in 1910. There were no school budgets for supplies, no trips to galleries, no books on techniques. But Anna always came prepared with her basket of goodies: buckeyes, colorful and  curiously shaped leaves, seed pods of milkweed, jimson, and cardboard for









   



    After Wogaman's death Bob Brubaker took  the job of teaching on Monday nights. Nancy Foureman later established Saturday classes for children and adults.
   The Greenville Art Guild Gallery was opened to the public to exhibit works produced at the Anna Bier house. Later the gallery moved above Gray’s Jewelry Store on Broadway. Need for more space the gallery was moved above the Hallmark Store and later to a downstairs location on Broadway. The gallery provided exhibition space for the local artists.
    Several of the artist participated in forming The Darke County Center for the Arts. Since Miss Bier had taught many classes in the lovely Henry St. Clair Memorial Hall, it seemed only fitting that the Art Gallery at this prestigious center be named after her. Funds from the sale of her home helped get the gallery started.      Sandy Cable Barringer, a student of Wogaman, carries on the legacy of excellence in art instruction in the Wogaman Art Room, where students have a place to study and practice art under her direction.

Another great contributor was Martin Wogaman. Wogaman worked beside Anna Bier, teaching painting and sculpting.
Kitt Matchett Vaughn
Pearle Elliott
Miss Clara Helm
and student
ARTIST'S IN HISTORY
Edna Albrignt
Elizabeth Aukerman
Clara Helm
Anna Bier
Martin Wogaman
J. Howard Trump
Roy Cable
Bob Brubaker
How to join
Applications  Activities
Show schedules
Entry Forms
Meetings
Officers
Membership List
Artist's Websites
History of the Guild
Children's Programs
Artists in History
Donors
Home